Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Howdy

Welcome to my third (and likely final) blog. Yes, this means I've got two others. The older is Broken Quanta, which you should visit if and only if you have a very high tolerance for snark and nastiness (chiefly about politics and college football, but touching on other subjects as well). The younger is the ill-fated Great Expectations, an incomplete chronicle of the short happy life of my oldest daughter, Ainsleigh.

This blog is modeled after the latter. To recap: in October 2006, during my wife's second semester of pregnancy, I decided to create a "baby blog" and move all of the pregnancy and baby-related posts from BQ to the new blog. I stated a variety of reasons for this, but most of them boiled down to: my masculine vanity demanded that I compartmentalize and quarantine that portion of my online persona that looked suspiciously like a mommyblogger. The result was a sort of disorganized mess, where most of the "fertility" stuff and the first few pregnancy posts were on BQ, then most of the pregnancy and baby posts were on GE. I always intended to go back and create a "story so far" series of posts on GE, so that the one site would have the complete story of Ainsleigh's conception, gestation, birth, and early life. But I never got around to it, and time slipped away, and then she was gone and I couldn't bear to do it and it just never got done.

So, this time around I'm not making the same mistake. I'm going to tell the story as it happens. Mind you, I know very well that nobody's hanging on every word. But the story isn't for the contemporary reader (though you're welcome to it!) so much as it's for me, and for the adult version of the baby we're hopefully going to have one day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog, and you're wrong.. some of us do hang on every word. Your whole family is in our prayers through this time. Send our love to your wonderful parents too -I really miss the wonderful example your whole family was to me. When things get really crappy it's nice to know that there are good, loving people out there. I hope you soon get a chance to be this example to your own child again.

    ReplyDelete